Sunday, January 22, 2012

Should you bring your boyfriend to babysit?


I have been a terrible blogger recently. The holidays and work have distracted me from updating my blog. I haven't even been babysitting much recently.


Last weekend I did babysit once on Saturday night. My boyfriend came along to help. I have helped this family for years so they really know me, are comfortable with me and trust me.

Understandably many parents are uncomfortable with babysitters bringing their boyfriend or girlfriend along because they are afraid they kids won't get the attention they need. I totally agree that this should be a concern for parents. Before parents let babysitters bring along a boyfriend or girlfriend the parents should know and be 100% comfortable with the sitter and meet the bf/gf first.

For me, bringing along my boyfriend has been a huge help in many situations. This particular family has three boys. They can be a handful and sometimes I'm much better at the logistical stuff like getting to school on time, what to eat for dinner dinner, brushing teeth and getting to bed. Whereas my boyfriend can relate better and talk about the boys' interests more. For example he can talk to them about football and draw pictures of space ships in 2020 with them.

My boyfriend and I split the pay which is fine because we both have full time jobs as well. It isn't my only source of income, so it's a nice thing that we can do together even though we are working.

This works in our situation, but bringing along boyfriends and girlfriends to babysit is not for everyone. What do you think? What have your experiences been like?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I'm 16 and I love kids but have a mohawk and several small (but visible) tattoos. I feel like if I babysat with her for the wrong parents, I might ruin business for her. I'm a nice guy but some snobs can't get past appearances.