Monday, May 2, 2011

I should have majored in babysitting



I have been sitting babies and kids for over three years now. I recently graduated from SJSU with a journalism degree, and that's why I'm here ... writing about my babysitting career.


Today I asked 6-year-old Daniel (name is changed) if he would babysit for me when I have kids in 10 years. He thought about it for a second before replying, "Only if you have the Xbox 360."

I think I made a mistake by not starting a blog earlier, because the kids I've watched over the past 3 years have said some pretty quote-worthy stuff. But it's never too late to start right?

I have only recently started to take notes in my phone whenever possible. About a week ago, on Good Friday, I was watching Daniel and his two older brothers. I was supposed to take them to a soup supper at their school at 6:00 and their dad told me I should stay and eat with them.

Before we left the house, I was talking with the oldest, 11-year-old Jacob (name is changed). I was telling him that I would rather not stay because I was dressed too casually in my jeans and cardigan to stay for the soup supper. He innocently reassured me and said, "You should stay. Trust me, the soup is really good and everyone else looks bad too."

My goal for this blog is not to be preachy or tell you the wrong and right ways to babysit. I want to share stories of what's worked for me and what definitely has not. Babysitting is a great job to have, especially when you're in college. 

No comments: