Saturday, November 26, 2011

Babysitting activity: Owl s'mores

So I got this idea from pinterest to make an owl s'more. It looked fairly easy and super cute. So I decided to try this when I babysat last weekend. I was watching four boys.
This is an example of the version I saw on pinterest:



The instructions from the blog say to use yellow candy melts for the eyes. I went to the Dollar Store and the grocery store and could not find them. So instead I tried using Reese's pieces. Here's what I used:


To keep things simple, I set out plates with the items the boys need to assemble their own owl s'more.


I did cut the marshmallows partially in half for them. Then I showed them an example and let them do it by themselves. I let them put it in the microwave themselves, because they were all older than 6 anyway. 


Because I couldn't find yellow candy melts, they didn't turn out as perfectly because the Reeses didn't really melt. You are only supposed to put the graham cracker, marshmallow and candy melts in the microwave for about 5 seconds otherwise the marshmallows melt too much. Here's what ours looked like:


They turned out pretty cute and the boys were eager to eat them after they finished making them. When I asked the youngest (6 years-old) if that was fun, he said "a little." So that's the verdict on this project. It's a little fun to make, but a lot of fun for the kids to eat.  Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

No comments: