Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How to be a health conscious babysitter


Whether you are going to school or you have another job the last thing you need is to catch a cold when you’re babysitting. But it does happen. So here are some ways to avoid spreading germs.


Get a flu shot

Unless you are against getting shots of any kind, getting a flu shot is the responsible thing to do, especially if you are babysitting. You might be saving yourself from a few sick days and you are doing the right thing by preventing yourself from passing that flu on to the kids you’re watching.

Tell the parents when you’re sick

I personally don’t like to call in sick to work just because I have a mild cold. However, when I’m babysitting, I like to call the parents to let them know if I have a little cold. I explain to them that I feel like I am able and willing to work, but if they want to be on the safe side and find another sitter I would understand. They are going to notice you sniffling and coughing anyway, might as well ’fess up.

Keep your germs to yourself

Keep hand sanitizer in your purse, so that you can keep your hands clean even when you take them out to the park or arcade etc. And duh, wash your hands, especially before preparing their food. Also it’s helpful to sneeze and cough into your elbow instead of your hands. You can teach the kids to do this too when they’re sick.


What are your tips for avoiding the flu?

Photo courtesy of Sarah Gilbert via flickr

2 comments:

Kate said...

A great article!

Kate said...

That's so right to let parents know if you have a little cold. The advice as to importance of a hand sanitizer is really worth following! I think you are a great babysitter :) Being responsible can be the most difficult part of the job, but it's also the most rewarding knowing that you can care for lives other than your own. When I wanted to try myself in babysitting Agatha Singer's post helped me a lot, please, click here to read more. And what helped you in making this decision?